Food is food, right? Well, not really. Many of us think that eating healthy food matters only for the sake of staying skinny. The truth is that paying attention to what you put in your body makes a huge difference.
We eat during the day to satisfy our hunger and to meet our body’s needs. To name a few, having the power to move, breathe, work.
Who cares what or how much I eat as long as I have a nice body, right? That’s what most of the women think.
If only it is that simple and we can eat anything we want and stay healthy at the same time. But, eating healthy food has a great impact on our lives. It is probably the key factor to longer, healthier, and happier one too. So, it does make a difference whether you eat junk food or healthy food because not all foods are equally good for your body.
Here’s why eating healthy food matters:
Proper nutrition has an enormous impact on our health. When you eat right, your body receives all the necessary nutrients to stay in good shape. They help us grow, function and stay healthy.
The following nutrients are of great importance:
- Carbohydrates – are our primary source of energy and fuel for our brain and nervous system.
- Vitamins – have multiple functions, such as increasing our immunity, keeping our eyesight strong, boosting our metabolism, etc.
- Minerals – are very important when it comes to our physical and mental processes. The assimilation of vitamins also depends on them, as well as the transportation of other nutrients to our cells.
- Proteins – are another source of energy. They are building a block of our muscles, nails, hair, hormones, etc. They fight infections, improve our memory, etc.
- Fats – are the third and last energy provider. They keep our organs safe and help to transport vitamins through the body.
Junk food can never supply your body with these nutrients as healthy food can. So, make sure to get enough because deficiency of nutrients may endanger your life.
Eating healthy is to a great extent connected to our overall health. If you eat poorly, in other words, if you lack the essential nutrients, you may experience health problems.
For example, we need Vitamin A, for our eyes to function properly. Lack of this vitamin may lead to blindness.
Or, we need Calcium for our bones to stay strong. Deficiency of it may result in bone loss.
Consuming foods that come from healthy sources help you get all the nutrients to stay healthy and avoid health problems.
No Empty Calorie Intake
Eating healthy food is not only related to being in good health, but also to losing weight. When it comes to our weight, we should pay attention to the number of calories we take in and the number we burn. In other words, we need to balance it out and lose as much as we receive.
However, it does makes a huge difference from where the calories come. For instance, calories that come from junk food are empty calories. They only give you a boost of energy, while having little or non-nutritional value. These foods are processed, refined, high in sugar, and additives. Also, junk food satisfies you for a shorter time and makes you crave for more.
Some examples of junk food:
- French fries
- Ice cream
Calories that come from healthy food sources, on the other hand, have good nutritional value. Not only are they rich in nutrients, but also make you full longer, and stop cravings.
Healthy food choices:
- Lean meat and poultry
- Nuts and seeds
Making smart eating choices isn’t as difficult as you might think. You simply need to learn how to start a diet (and a healthy one).
Or, simply read the following advice on how to eat healthy.
How To Eat Healthy
Many articles on the Internet teach us what to eat what to avoid. But bear in mind that even so-called healthy food often contains a considerable amount of additives and sugars.
Read the following tips on how to eat healthy and learn why and how to differentiate between good and bad food:
- Choose whole foods over processed foods – when you consume whole foods, your body receives all the essential nutrients it contains. On the other hand, processed food doesn’t contain those nutrients, and it is full of additives and sugar. That is why you should, if possible, choose fresh and whole foods.
- Read nutrition food labels – with the information they provide about ingredients they will help you chose good food over bad. Make sure to regularly consult food labels.
- Choose organic products – non-organic fruits and vegetables contain pesticides and hormones that can be dangerous to our health. This can lead to many health problems like cancer, asthma, nausea, and the list goes on. For this reason, always choose organic foods.
You don’t have to change your eating habits all at once, try replacing your unhealthy meals with healthy ones one at a time. If you stay on track you will soon feel the difference in your energy levels, you will be less tired, your mood will approve, etc.
Everything we put in our mouth influences our bodies and health. That makes it crucial to choose healthy food over junk food. Eating healthy food matters because it is the key to better nutrition, good health, and balanced weight.
There is no special formula on how to eat healthy. Simply, choose whole over processed foods, read nutrition food labels, and choose organic products.
Bear in mind that eating healthy doesn’t mean giving up on your favorite foods. Once you created a habit of eating healthy it is ok to cheat from time to time with your favorite foods.
Even the small changes can make a big difference when it comes to your health. If it is difficult to change your way of eating at once go slow at first. Eat one healthy meal a day and then go from there. The important thing is not to give up.