If only we could eat whatever we want and as much as we want, without gaining any extra pounds. It sounds so tempting, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, this is not possible. Food has calories, and too many calories mean weight gain. Many of you probably think that it doesn’t matter what you eat, or how much, as long as you are physically active and burn calories. You are wrong. It is true that physical activity is important, but eating right is essential for losing weight and staying healthy.
Fighting the battle of weight loss may be a difficult one, but you are halfway there once you learn how to eat healthily and understand which foods to consume. So, today we focus on types of carbohydrates.
If you want to lose pounds quickly and efficiently, read on and learn why carbs matter in your diet. Pay attention to the types of carbohydrates in food, as well as the recommended daily intake.
1. Carbohydrates And Their Importance In Weight Loss
We can find carbohydrates in many foods especially bread, pasta, dairy products, fruits, and vegetables. They are essential macronutrients since they are the primary source of energy. Carbs are responsible for the proper function of our bodies and immune system, as well as our growth and development.
Carbs can be divided into two parts:
- Complex – when you eat complex (good) carbs, your organism needs more time to digest them. It means that you stay full for a longer time, and your body spends more energy or calories at the same time trying to decompose them.
- Simple – when you consume simple (bad) carbs, the digestion process happens very fast. You are hungry soon after their consumption.
Complex carbs are healthier than simple carbs which makes them essential when it comes to weight loss. Consuming simple carbs may lead to weight gain and obesity. They are addictive and make you crave them but don’t hold any nutritional values. Whereas, complex carbs are beneficial for your health as well as weight loss. You can eat them without fearing for your health.
Now when you understood the significance of the carbs in your diet and weight loss, the next step to do is to go through the types of carbohydrates in food. When you learn to distinguish good from bad carbs, you will be able to start eating healthy and begin losing pounds.
2. Types Of Carbohydrates In Food
To make it easier for you, I divided the types of carbohydrates in food in several categories. Read them and find out which carbs are good and which are bad.
- Green vegetables are considered to be one of the most beneficial carbohydrate sources. They consist of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Except for weight loss, they help fight different diseases. The vegetables that belong to this category are the following: asparagus, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, celery, swiss chard, kale, zucchini, arugula, etc.
- Whole grains – like quinoa, popcorn, oats, brown rice, corn, wheat, barley, as well as all the products that are made of them like whole grains bread, pasta, oatmeal. They are highly nutritious and contain vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Fruits – especially those that contain less sugar such as lemon, raspberry, strawberry, avocado, blackberry, pomegranate, peaches, oranges, etc.
- Legumes like lentils, black beans, soybeans are very healthy carbohydrates. They also help us fight stress and different heart diseases.
- Starchy vegetables which are full of vitamins and fiber: sweet potatoes, green peas, parsnips, plantain.
- Seeds and nuts like almonds, pistachios, walnuts, etc.
Simple carbs (all the products that contain added artificial sugars):
- White flour products such as white bread, white pasta, etc.
- Corn Syrup
3. Your Ideal Daily Intake Of Carbohydrates
The third step is to find out your daily intake of carbohydrates. The recommended daily calorie intake that we get from the carbohydrates we consume should be 45 – 65 %. It means that if you receive about 2000 calories a day, that would be about 225-325 gr. of carbohydrates. It certainly depends on how much one eats.
However, all the women are not the same, and this requirement will be different from person to person since it depends on age, size, sex, weight, height, and physical activity.
So, if you struggle with obesity or weight gain, I recommend consulting a nutritionist, who will help you find out the right amount of carbohydrates daily intake.
Get A Professional Advice On Carbohydrates Intake
Deficiency of good carbohydrates may lead to different diseases, and high consumption of bad carbs may also lead to health problems, weight gain, and obesity. If you face some of these problems, you might have to consider your carbohydrate intake.
For that reason, you must pay attention to:
- follow the types of carbohydrates in food if you want to stay healthy and lose weight
- eat more complex carbs, and avoid the simple ones
- consume enough carbohydrates daily
- which carbohydrates you consume
You can always get professional advice on carbohydrates intake with me, as well as discover your ideal daily intake of carbs.
Subscribe to my Members area today, and start your journey towards a healthier and skinnier body, because you deserve to look good and live a longer and happier life.